Summer has hit, and my tomatoes are loving it. I, however, am wilting like spinach ten minutes into a steamer.
At present, I have Book 4 of the Swift Codex all drafted at about 50,000 words. It’s a newish way of working on projects for me. My drafts consist of a bare minimum of description, a full roll of dialogue, and an indicator of basic emotions and so forth. If you could imagine reading the most vivid playscript ever, that’s what my drafts look like. This books has been a bear to reach this point, and I’ve seen the error of filling out scenes too early in the drafting stage.
This is something I started to do when I was working out my Blissed episodes. I found that if I tried to fill things out too soon, I was always having to go back and change things later. Another oddity is that the acting morphs over time. What will be an angry emotion upon first draft will read as sad or even defeated after a couple of weeks have gone by. Strangely, it is the second emotion which feels right in the end. I’ve given up trying to make sense of it, other than to call it “aging”. Like wart into beer. Of course the beer is better.
Today, I’m sitting at my computer with a rather long administrative to-do list in front of me. As this is the first time in a week that my computer room isn’t roasting (thank goodness it faces east not west), I’m cracking down on my list. It happens that blogging is high up on that list. 🙂
You’ll notice that I haven’t called Swift Codex Book 4 by name. I haven’t settled on a name for it yet. At first I was thinking Fire Magic, then I thought Wind Magic. This wreaks havoc on my file names, by the way. I’m sure you’re terribly surprised about that. I think I’ll stick with Wind Magic, though, it seems to be a better sum-up of the book itself.
I probably ought to do some thumbnails for Book 4’s cover soon. There. I added it to my administrative to-do list.
Looking forward to sharing with you guys the next batch of exciting news. I’ll be sure to record the cover art progress this time. 🙂